A tipstaff contributes to the operations of the courtroom and the judge's chambers by performing a wide variety of duties, among them:
* Preparing the bench with essentials needed and as directed by each individual judge.
* Updates courtroom staff schedules with additions/deletions.
* Checks daily jail list to determine if litigant is incarcerated and needs transport.
* Ensures microphones and recording devices are operational throughout court proceeding.
* Directs members of public who enter courtroom to appropriate areas.
* Screens witnesses and visitors for appropriate attire.
* Interacts with individuals in courtroom for scheduled matters; confirms all parties are present and ready to proceed.
* Opens court.
* Swears in witnesses in absence of Prothonotary staff.
* Manages cases and/or files in courtroom.
* Prepares cost and fine sheets.
* Monitors activities of jurors during jury selection. Briefs jurors on information needed during jury selection process and during jury trials.
* Serves as communication liaison among jury, court, and attorneys.
* Performs assorted duties to support court operations handled via Court Administration.
Qualified candidates will hold a high school diploma or GED, possess at least six months' experience in an office environment; effective oral and written communications skills; effective interpersonal skills; comfort with public speaking; a patient, courteous, and professional demeanor; ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously; time management skills; and comfort dealing with varied personalities and possible antagonistic situations.
Competitive benefits package starts first of the month following 45 workdays and includes 90% employer-paid PPO health and prescription plan, defined benefit pension plan, optional defined contribution plan, vision insurance, short-term disability coverage, group term life insurance, and ample paid time-off provisions. Starting salary is $15,761 for a 35-hour workweek. EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER